Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2020

To keep in touch with your tango steps!

It was a frustrating experience when I couldn't find back to a loved youtube figure I had seen a month or a year earlier. The solution below has been running for three years now and it has helped me many times so far! Some periods I don't use it at all and then suddenldly it is updated with several new lines per night.  It is allways visible and easy to access! I hope it will save time for you too!

I am a PC user and the collection is created on a google spreadsheet. On the screenprint below you find the headings and labels which have helped me to identify a video clip again. Most of my links are from youtube but facebook items and other internet addresses can be saved also.

This spreadsheet is for instant records, to save the moves I like when surfing around. I have created separate sheets for the figures from workshops and one for my teachers observations and advices. I have this split because the number of entries is growing surpricingly fast on each of these sections!

This is the version I use  for the collection! The column headings and labels you find here have served me well during the years.












To manage this collection of links I use some basic functions you find below but the most important of them is to create a backup every now and then!


Watch the video or read the text!

Your choice!  :)




EASY ACCESS and FILTERS

To have easy access I have placed an icon on the bookmarks bar - when the site is open you just drag the icon to the bar as shown on the picture. Ater that you will easily find the site and save your new steps. When my collection had grown to contain several hundreds of rows the filtering function has helped me out! I use the most simple version of it and it is very intuitive at that level.You create a filter by placing the cursor on the row for column titles and via DATA menue you find the option! At the same place you can get rid of it and reactivate it again later.















FREEZE the HEADINGS

Frozen headings have also been easy to apply. It keeps the column heads as well as the lable suggestions visible when the collection grows!

Put the cursor on the row number you want to keep visible and make the rest in VIEW menue




TIMESTAMPS

When you save a youtube address with timestamp you will land on the figure right away.
Facebook offers the same; addresses with timestamp!

Right click the video window and choose the time option!



BACKUP ! ! !


One terribly day in the future a backup can be useful to have and it is easy to fix today! I just send my figure collection, library and teacher notes to another email address. All in one mail as an EXCEL file.  That's all!










No comments:

Post a Comment